User experience and usability are the governing factors of an effective web design, though visibility also plays a significant role. When potential visitors come to your site, they usually don’t give a damn about how your site looks. They just want to retrieve the information for which they opt to land on your site. If you fail to deliver them the information they need, your online portal is as good as a piece of trash for them. On the other hand, if it successfully delivers what they seek, then they will not mind visiting your website again and again.
Having an online podium has become a necessity, since all the major interactions and trading are now being conducted online. This necessity has called for a user-centric web portal where you can deliver what your target audience needs. However, it is easier said than done, given that you’ve a lot of factors to consider for designing an effective, profit-oriented website.
The following article is divided into two segments. In the first segment, I’ll underline the user behavior that’ll educate you about how visitors interact with a website. In the second segment, I’ll present some effective tips on how you can enhance the usability of you web.
Users’ Behavior on a Web Page
Though you might be selling a product on your website, keep in mind that a visitor’s experience on a page is quite different from a consumer at a physical store. To create a result oriented web, you first need to get a firm grasp on user behavior.
• The first thing users want to ensure is website credibility. The credibility of your web is usually reflected through the content presented therein. If it is relevant to your visitors’ interest and their liking, they’ll not give any attention to the web design even if its quality is not-so-well.
• Secondly never assume that visitors read the whole content of your page. In fact, instead of reading the content, they simply scan it by extracting key passages or looking for emphasized text, anchors or titles that would catch their interest and give them a quick gist of your content.
• Talking about visitors’ web page scanning, it is also important to understand that users never skim through a page in a linear fashion. Instead, they look for options or regions that look like it may lead them to the information they need.
Effective Tips on Web Design
Heed to the following tips and guidelines to create a magnetic web design that’ll compel your target-audience.
• Don’t Test Users’ Patience
Let’s face it, users are always impatient. They come to your page for a piece of information and they want it fast. If you present them a web page that takes a whole minute to load on their screen, then you’ll be squandering their serenity. Therefore, speed up the load time of your web page by optimizing its performance and killing each and every element that makes it load sluggishly.
• Present an Intuitive Navigation
Keep in mind that an effective navigation is critical for your website. An effective navigation is one that directs the visitors to their desired page rather than confusing them to the point of making them leave the site with the intention of never coming back again. Use the header, sidebar and footer areas for navigation and mention only those links that are necessary to navigate throughout the web.
• Taglines Grab Attention
Using taglines is another great way to enhance the efficiency of your website. Taglines are slogans that inform the readers about the mission, objective or philosophy of the company or a web. These slogans are highly-effective when it comes to grabbing the visitors’ attention.
• User Color Wisely
Color selection is another important factor that must be considered wisely otherwise it might end up breaking the quality of the web. There is a no rule of thumb to use a color scheme that harmonizes with your logo or brand. You could also use a neutral palette to give your site a simple yet stylish look and feel.
• USE RWD Layout
Commonly referred to as responsive web design, RWD layout is more trendy and important these days than ever. Given that a large number of target-audience uses mobile gadgets to surf the web, it is important to give them a layout that could adapt to the screen-size of the device they are using.